IPL TREATMENT FOR SUN DAMAGE
AN EFFECTIVE WAY TO REPAIR THE RAVAGES OF THE SUN!
Before the long-term effects of the sun were known, preventing exposure wasn’t a priority. Now, in addition to the health risks, we know that avoiding the sun’s harmful rays is one of the most important ways to maintain a smoother, more youthful appearance. But for many, the damage already has been done.
In fact, excessive exposure to the sun accelerates the common effects of aging, creating unflattering conditions such as:
- Course, dry, or leathery skin
- Excessive freckling
- Skin discoloration such as sun spots (lentigines)
- Pigmented lesions
- Redness caused by rosacea, a condition that is characterized by persistent facial redness resembling a blush or sunburn, with small, yet visible blood vessels on the face
Using the latest advances in intense pulsed light treatment or IPL, Dr. Gertzman can repair the effects of sun damage — virtually erasing skin discolorations and improving skin texture to create a smoother, vibrant, more even-toned appearance.
HOW DOES IPL (INTENSE PULSED LIGHT) TREATMENT WORK?
IPL is a safe, highly effective, non-invasive procedure that uses the power of light to remove sun-damaged skin layer by layer, revealing the healthy, flawless skin beneath. The result is a decrease in the appearance of blood vessels, redness, and sunspots, as well as improved skin texture and tone. Improvements are visible within days, and results are long-lasting.
Note: For best results, Dr. Gertzman advises you to avoid sun exposure prior to your treatment.
- What is IPL ?IPL treatments are noninvasive procedures used to erase the signs of aging from the face, neck, chest, and hands using Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) . A treatment program typically includes three to five sessions of about 15 minutes each, performed at 3 to 4 week intervals.
- What can IPL treat?IPL has the unique capability to treat multiple symptoms of aging skin on your entire face in each treatment session. Among these are red blemishes, mottled coloration, broken blood vessels, pigment discoloration (such as freckles and age spots, enlarged pores, coarse or rough skin, loss of skin tone and elasticity, and general sun damage). The result is a youthful, smooth and revitalized facial appearance. IPL can also treat spots, discolored areas, and other telltale signs of aging on your hands, chest, and neck.
- Why is IPL better than other treatments?In addition to treating multiple symptoms and locations in each session, IPL is gentle, noninvasive, and safe. You see results in the complexion and the skin texture of the entire face. You can return to your normal routines and activities immediately. In fact, many people even schedule their sessions during their lunch break. Additionally, IPL treatments are customized to your specific skin type and color providing the best possible results. Because of this, there is no “recovery time”.
- Who is a candidate for this procedure?Whether you’re a man or a woman, if you are showing the signs of aging and sun damaged skin, hyperpigmentation, melasma, freckles, rosacea, flushing, redness, ruddy complexion, broken capillaries on the face, you should consider IPL to help you look younger and feel better. For more pronounced spider veins on the legs, face, and neck, a different laser is used to treat such conditions. A brief and complimentary consultation with our medical staff is the way to find out.
- How is IPL rejuvenation performed?Before treatment you may be given dark glasses to shield your eyes from the bright light. The area to be treated is first covered with a very thin layer of non-gel, aqueous RF conductive medium. During treatment the smooth glass surface of the IPL hand piece is gently applied to your skin delivering pulses of light to the area being treated. You will see gradual improvement from each session resulting in a dramatic improvement by the end of your treatment program. Results are long lasting and a maintenance program of one treatment every 6 to 12 months is suggested.
- Are there any adverse affects?No! It is a gentle, safe noninvasive, nonabrasive treatment. The IPL treatments may have a tolerable level of discomfort. After each treatment, patients can apply makeup and return to normal activities. The treatments have proven to be low risk, are associated with few complications and patients rarely have downtime or have to miss work or regular activities.
- How is the treatment administered?In the State of New Jersey, all laser and IPL treatments must be performed by a physician. At Serenity Medical Spa, Dr. Gertzman will apply some gel on the treated area and then use the IPL hand piece directly on your skin while directing the cooling device to the area.
- What results can I expect?Increased collagen production. Healthier circulation. Increased oxygenation and moisture. Superb skin radiance. Accelerated skin repair. Skin surface becomes toned and youthful. A healthy glow resulting from total skin rejuvenation.
- What are the causes of red faces?As many as 70 million Americans have undesirable redness and/or sun damage of the face. The more common causes are rosacea (a condition in up to 13 million people), sun exposure, alcohol, medications, stress, emotional causes, time and aging of the skin, repeated blushing or flushing of the skin, and is seen most commonly in fair skinned individuals of northern European descent. Some of these individuals have a condition called Erythrophobia – a morbid fear of having a red face, a condition in which some people are shy and embarrassed in public because of fear their face will get red.
- Are there any contraindications to this procedure?Yes, it is not indicated in clients with connective tissue disease or autoimmune disorders. It cannot be done during pregnancy nor can it be done on recently suntanned skin or in those who may receive excess sun exposure for a few weeks following treatment.
- What are the requirements to having this procedure?All patients must have a consultation prior to the procedure. They must complete a general medical questionnaire on the nature of their skin. At the time of the first treatment each patient will be tested to properly evaluate the correct settings for the client’s skin condition and skin type. These parameters will then be stored in a database and in the patient’s chart for future reference. Pre-treatment, mid-treatment, and post-treatment photos will be taken. An informed consent sheet and health history profile form will be signed. All questions must be asked and answered by the patient prior to treatment.
- Can I accomplish the same results with chemical peels, microdermabrasion?No. However, IPL treatment can be used in conjunction with certain types of peels and microdermabrasion.
- My doctor tells me this treatment can be performed with laser. Is that true?No. Currently there is no laser that can duplicate the effects of intense pulse light (IPL) therapy. The laser cannot reach all the levels of the skin in a manner similar to the intense pulse light. In our experience we have not seen this duplicated by any other device. It has no match.
- Will IPL treatments help my acne scars?Yes. Certainly more shallow scars, including fine lines, will be improved. However, for ice pick type acne scarring and deep scars we offer another treatment called Laser Skin Resurfacing using the Erbium YAG laser or ProFractional laser resurfacing.
- My hands look so old. Can IPL get rid of these age spots?Absolutely. This is one of the most common complaints women and men have. After just a few brief visits your hands will no longer look like grandma’s!
- What is the cost?Prices vary depending on the area to be treated. The package cost will be discussed with you prior to treatments. We pride ourselves on having a fixed price list per skin treatment area. We never employ the “used car lot bargaining approach” like others do, because we simply believe we offer the best treatment and at the most affordable price.